Consider the Specific Needs of Your Household When Planning for National Preparedness Month
September is National Preparedness Month, a time to go over your family's emergency plan. When establishing an emergency plan, be sure to consider the specific needs of the members of your household. Discuss your needs and responsibilities and how people in the network can assist each other with communication, care of children, business, pets, or specific needs like the operation of durable medical equipment. Create your own personal network for specific areas where you need assistance. Keep in mind some these factors when developing your plan:
- Different ages of members within your household
- Responsibilities for assisting others
- Locations frequented
- Dietary needs
- Medical needs including prescriptions and equipment
- Disabilities or access and functional needs including devices and equipment
- Languages spoken
- Cultural and religious considerations
- Pets or service animals
- Households with school-aged children
Also consider your elderly friends or neighbors in your plan. They often need help and do not always have local family.
SERVPRO of NEwtown and Southern Litchfield County is dedicated to helping our community when disaster happens. If you have a flood or fire emergency, call us at (203) 743-5362.